Green Light Movement is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that works to eliminate violence through community service. They accomplish this goal through the development of various community based programs for teens and young adults. The majority of the organization’s programs are designed around hip-hop music. This is purposely done as a way of attracting people to the programs and engaging them in positive activities. Through the organization’s various programs and activities they work to instill a since of community pride while empowering the participants with the resources and skills they need to become responsible and productive members of their community. Several programs like the “Young Entrepreneurs Program” focus on Core Curriculum, bolstering the tools needed to prepare youth for college, career, and basic life skills by increasing their proficiency in literacy and math while putting those basic principles into action through real life applications. Although the focus is on teens and young adults, specifically individuals between the age of 11 and 24, the programs are open to anyone in the community who would like to get involved.
TAKE THE GREENLIGHT MOVEMENT NON-VIOLENCE PLEDGE
Peace must start within ourselves. By adopting this pledge we commit ourselves as best as we can to become nonviolent and peaceable people.
• To increase my community involvement through community service, political awareness, health, education and positive personal development.
• To respect myself, to affirm others and to avoid uncaring criticism, hateful words, physical or emotional attacks, negative peer pressure, and self-destructive behavior including abuse of alcohol and drugs.
• To show forgiveness when I have been hurt and to apologize and make amends when I have hurt others.
• To remember that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation – not victory.
• To refrain from all forms of violence and to challenge violence in all its forms whenever I encounter it, whether at home, at school, at work or in the community, and to stand with others who are treated unfairly.
• To treat the environment and all living things including pets with respect and care.
• To listen carefully to one another in order to promote honesty while employing safe ways to express feeling including anger and to work at peaceful problem-solving.
I pledge to do everything that I can to make nonviolence a way of life in my dealings with all people and make the world a place where equality and justice, freedom and peace will grow and flourish.
I will reject all forms of hatred, bigotry and prejudice and will embrace the values of unconditional, universal love, truthfulness, courage, compassion and dedication where all people can live together as sisters and brothers.
This is our pledge to follow the direction of GreenLight Movement’s leaders by promoting nonviolence through community service.
BECOME A MEMBER OF GREENLIGHT MOVEMENT.